Tuesday 19 June 2018

I want a normal life.


I have always wanted a normal life.


The kind of life I've seen in movies. The kind of life I've read in novels. The kind of life I'm seeing when I scroll my own Twitter feed, posted by people looking back through their past experiences. The kind of life I hear people speak of. The kind of life I always feel envious about. The kind of life that's not mine. The kind of life they are having. Everyone else's. The kind of life that's happier. More fun. Normal

Or at least, it seems to me like what a normal life should be.

I wanted to be a kid with plenty of playmates. The cheerful kid whom every other kids like to interact with, because I look exactly the same in their eyes. I did not wish to be a kid spending almost all of her time inside a library, or near bookshelves, nose deep behind every book and magazine I could lay my hands onto. I did not wish to be a kid whose body is bigger than literally almost everyone else at kindergarten, or at school, that other kids loved to avoid me because they were afraid of my big size, or laughed at and called me with unpleasant names because of my size. I am okay with not being privileged enough to learn things I want―ballet, musical instruments, and whatnots―but at least I wanted to have playmates. And I never wished for myself to get bullied.

I wanted to a teenager just like any other ones. I wanted to have some people whose faces I could stick on my bedroom wall, decorated with colorful pens saying "BFF" or other flowery words. When I finally got to watch the widely popular Ada Apa dengan Cinta? years later after its released date, I could never relate to the "Geng Cinta" because I never knew a friendship like that. Back then, I was introduced way too soon to a friendship where everyone is quietly trying to tear down the other, badmouthing anyone who's not present. And it was damn hell exhausting. I wanted my peers. A healthy circle of friends. Something that so many people love to brag about: finding their closest companions in their school days... I wanted that.

I wanted to be like other girls, back then in my school days. And college days. Maybe I wanted to be like the boys, too. They had fun. They found love, even the ones which didn't last very long. They confessed or got confessed to. They got their feelings reciprocated. I  must admit, I was very envious about that. I still am. I was always a little bit too serious. A little bit too uptight. A little bit too driven as a student. A little bit too fat. A little bit too plain. A little bit less pretty. I did not want a string of rejection after rejection, but that was all I got. I can't brag, or share silly stories about my ex-boyfriends like other people because I never had one. I was that person nobody took a second glance at. Maybe they didn't even see me.

I have always wanted a normal life.


But I've never got anything else other than the one I'm living, so is this what's "normal" for me?

z. d. imama

3 comments:

  1. :") I used to feel like this a lot. Well, not quite the same, but probably similar? Sorry for the long comment ahead...

    I wanted a normal life as a child. I wanted normal parents. Parents that aren't so controlling, parents that are more emotionally mature and stable, parents that stay together, parents that I could talk fondly about, parents that I could actually try to please because they have achievable, realistic expectations. I hated my parents. They threw me into a sea of chaos as a child, and I'm still reeling from the shock even now. If it were not for them, I feel like I would've have a happier life. Until now, I still don't "love" them. I can see them as humans now, with all their brokenness and their misgivings and bad decisions. Why they took all those bad decisions. I could finally see the things they do right, among the chaos they created. But it took me a long time and a lot of fight, rage and anguish to see that. Sometimes I still rage, when I think about how different my life would be if I have normal parents. Better parents. But I only got mine, as mediocre as they are. I still hate it and I will fight people who say I MUST love them or forgive them JUST because they are my parents. I lived in anguish for years because of their actions, and I have the right to be angry to them. I still do think I deserve better parents.

    For years, I didn't know what to make of it. Everyone else seems to be living a life completely different from mine. It was hard to even talk about. It felt like I couldn't relate to anyone. I faked it: I posted proud pics and quotes of my family and talked about it as if I lived a "normal" family. I wanted to seem normal, if I can't be normal. Even if it was dishonest.

    But along the way I realized, when I paid attention, that some people aren't posting sappy stories on Mother's/Father's Day. Some of my friend's casual-sounding complaints sound suspiciously similar to the things that give me nightmares. So I asked them and I told them about my abnormal family and I realized, that I'm not as "abnormal" as I thought. It pains me to realize, that I wasn't alone. That all the people I thought was living "normal" lives weren't. It pains me because I'm happy that I'm not alone but it also hurts me that they too, must suffer like I do.

    I think, it's very easy to assume what normalcy is, how it looks like, and that everyone else are living it. But what I learned along the way was that normalcy is an illusion. On a statistical scale, everyone seems normal, but as individuals, nobody is truly as "normal" as we think they are. Normalcy is a set of assumptions, a net widely spread. Someone is always deviating from the norm in some way. The thing is that it's not always visible to us. Maybe they won't show us, maybe we'd rather not see. But when I get to know someone, they stopped being normal and started being broken, because their cracks are visible to me now. It's easier to live life by assuming that everyone is by default, broken to a degree. Even when I can't see the cracks. It's kind of a negative way of thinking, but it comforts me. That way, the normal way is brokenness so by that standard, I too am normal.

    I can't tell you if you should see it the way I do, but I want to tell you that you're already normal to want to be normal. We all do. Even the ones you think are already normal. It's ok, and we welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, kujadi speechless nggak tau mau ngomong apa. Semangat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so feel you. Feels like reading my own life story. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete